1. What are the key NARA regulations governing digitization of records?
In May 2023, the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and Office of Management and Budget (OMB) released new regulations on digitization standards for permanent records.
During the period in which the regulations were being promulgated, many agencies grew confused about what was changing with the new regulations—and what was staying the same. The following areas were NOT changed because of the new regulations:
- Definition of a Permanent Record
- Regulations for formatting Permanent Digital Records
- Regulations for Transferring Permanent Digital Records
- Regulations for Digitizing Temporary Records
- Regulations governing Presidential Records and
The regulations governing digitization standards for temporary records (adopted in April 2019) are a useful jumping off point for understanding the new regulations governing permanent records.